Gutters play a crucial role in protecting your roof, windows, siding, and the foundation of your house from water damage. Gutters must be cleaned out periodically to adequately to keep the drainage process functioning properly. Remember to keep your gutters clean and well cared for during the winter to prevent ice buildups. Ice buildups in gutters contribute to leaks in the roof. Leaks cause damage to the structural elements of your home. Even with proper gutter installation, the weight of ice and snow can often be enough to pull a gutter loose from the side of a house, thereby causing significant damage and repair problems.
Here’s what to do to prevent problems and manage any that occur:
- Tighten all gutter joints and ensure that the hangings are strong and well secured to the side of the house.
- Check all gutters and drainpipes for debris and clean any debris you find carefully.
- If you notice gutter hangings beginning to pull from the wall, purchase new hangings or new screws, and secure the gutters more tightly.
- If you identify ice damming and water damage, investigate and repair that damage before the issues get worse.
- If water leaks from connections between gutters and drainpipes, call a professional roofer to inspect and develop a plan of repair.
CALL THE EXPERTS
The K&P Exteriors team can help you explore and understand options to protect your roof and gutters. Call us at 303.853.0072 today!